Have you been struggling with the same meals that your dietician and therapist have agreed that you should eat?
The recipe that you will get familiarized with is the Navratan or vegetarian korma. This aromatic dish has warmed not just the heart but also the stomach of the Indian folks for centuries now. Many people believe that it has come from the Mughal Empire and that it has been created by fusing the techniques that earlier inhabitants of Pakistan, Northern India, and Bangladesh used.
Korma is one of the most suitable meals for people who wish to cut back on their meat consumption. It is also for everyone who likes to experience different flavors exploding in their mouth. This comfort food can be eaten with rice but is also tasty and filling on its own. Because of the nuts and vegetables that make up the whole recipe, you can get the right amount of protein and fiber that your body requires in a day to keep you in shape through this.
In case you decide to serve korma to your visitors who either have high standards when it comes to Indian cuisines or are unaware of its existence, two things can only happen. The first one is that people may ask you to spill the beans regarding how you have made the vegetable korma taste so good. The second ideal scenario is that you get to motivate both kinds of guests to refrain from patronizing kormas prepared in restaurants. Instead, they should dust off their kitchen tools and begin cooking with this recipe in mind.
4 carrots, cubed
2 potatoes, cubed
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, sliced
4 ounces of tomato sauce
1 cup of green peas
½ green and red bell peppers, both chopped
1 ½ tablespoons of peanut oil
1 ½ tablespoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of unsalted cashew nuts – grounded
1 cup of coconut milk yogurt
1. Heat a semi-large skillet moderately on a stovetop before you pour in the peanut oil.
2. Once you notice that the oil is already hot, mix in the diced onion. Stir it lightly to ascertain that the pieces will be nicely cooked.
3. After that, you can add garlic and ginger. You are only supposed to sauté them for 60 seconds because garlic, in particular, can get burned fast when subjected to heat longer than the advised duration.
4. Then the tomato sauce, curry powder, and salt can finally be transferred into the pan. You should also drop the cubed carrots and potatoes in, as well as the ground cashew and the sliced jalapeno. The reason behind this is that the hard vegetables need a stretch before they become tender, while the essence of the nuts and the chili pepper can fully be incorporated to the vegetarian korma when they are cooked around the same time as the other ingredients. Approximately 10 minutes are needed for this step, but it may be lengthened if the potatoes are still tough.
5. The last items that you have to add are red and green bell peppers, yogurt, and green peas as they can soften pretty fast. The peppers specifically are tastier when they maintain a little crunch, that’s why they are included near the end of the cooking process.
6. Now that all the elements of the vegetarian korma are inside the pan and have been combined well together, you need to cover it, lower the heat, and let everything boil slowly for another 10 minutes.
7. Feel free to ladle this directly to your plate without any garnish, or decorate the dish with some cilantro leaves if you are serving it to guests.
Suggestions Before Food Preparation
Allot At Least Two Hours For This
Know that chopping the ingredients and cooking them together may take a couple of hours in total, so you will have the chance to prove that patience is indeed a virtue. Your full attention is essential until the last few minutes to get this food ready, assuming that no outside help will be there to dice the vegetables and look over the pan for you.
Use Homemade Tomato Sauce
Of course, you are allowed to purchase a canned version of it from the supermarket if you have no time for it, but if you do, make it a priority to craft one with your own hands. It is because when a tomato sauce is produced at home, those who will sample it will immediately know that it has been made with love. By going online, you can get a crash course regarding the right ways to create the sauce from scratch. Aside from that, the best juicers on the market can come in handy at this point as they are great homogenizing equipment.
Make The Oil Yourself
You may also be interested in making the peanut oil in your kitchen. What is right about this is that you only need a small amount of it for this vegetable korma recipe, so you will be able to store the rest in a clean container for your next cooking activity. Such oils admittedly cost slightly higher than the regular cooking oil as well; that’s why you can save much once you perform this extra step. In connection with the suggestion above, the best juicer on the market to buy is the one that already has an oil press attachment. This way, you will not have to extract the nut fat in your lonesome manually, and therefore invest more of your time to other deeds.
Prepare With A Reliable Skillet
From pots and pans reviews, it is quite easy to figure out which brands offer high-quality skillets. Knowing what pots and pans are suitable for cooking Indian dishes is relevant, specifically if you plan on building them often from scratch. Remember that using a thin skillet may burn some of the ingredients quickly. Therefore, standard cooking equipment will not do, as it may jeopardize the taste of the final product.
Now you know how to make the best vegetarian korma for yourself and your friends and family.